Sunday 28 December 2014

Christmas holidays and planning

I've had a lovely time over the Christmas holidays, it has been filled with Christmas markets, mulled wine, food, family, and of course knitting, so much knitting...

 
I had decided to make mittens for my brother, sister, and their other halves as part of their Christmas parcels. I wanted them to each have a mono graphed mitten for the winter, such things, I keep learning, do not always go to plan. I have the hands of a twelve year old (as in they are the same size, I don't keep people's hands in jars or anything), which makes getting the right size for 'normal people' mittens a bit of a guessing game. Because I made full mittens for Chris and her partner (as in covered over fingers) this wasn't too much of a problem, but because I decided to make Phil fingerless hand warmer style mittens, which need to be a bit more tight fitting, things went a bit wrong. Poor Phil and Maeve ended up with mittens for giants.

 The fingerless Giants mittens...

And full mittens for Chris

So next time, before I try so much as a scarf for anyone else, I'm getting measurements!!
I've been working on a couple of projects over Christmas. I managed to finish my red scarf, and am so happy with how big and snug it is!
I'm also about 1/3 into a jumper from 'North' by Kim Hargreaves (such a beautiful book, I want one of everything in it!!), I transported this to the south (via short flight) using a holding bit of thread and buying new needles down there. It did add to my relaxation during my stay with my parents being able to curl up on the sofa and continue with my jumper. 

As we crawl ever closer to the end of the year, and the beginning of another I've been thinking about what I've achieved this year, and what I want to achieve in 2015.
As far as sewing is concerned I had a major eureka moment when I finally started sewing with knitted fabrics! I'm really pleased with my results so far, and I have dresses and t shirts and sweatshirts and all sorts planned for this.
Over the next year I'm determined to get the hang of tailoring, I have a jacket pattern and the fabric for it, but I don't feel confident enough to do it justice. My plan... Do it slowly, and carefully, and keep your fingers crossed.
Alongside this terrifying piece of tailoring I also want to try out a shirt pattern I've been hanging onto for ages, yes people, next year is all about the tailoring!

 Definately a. for the shirt (e. is just terrifying), but I've still not decided between a. and b. for the jacket.

As far as knitting is concerned, I feel like I've spent this year learning big lessons from my mistakes. The biggest lesson being I still have so much to learn.
This year is all about polishing up my skills and when I start a project I do it properly!
I also want to go back and fix my mistakes (Philippa I'm looking at you!). But I mostly want to create beautiful jumpers and cardigans that I can be proud to wear (I might just work my way through 'North')


 My big project for 2015, however, is something I've wanted to try all year but have been too nervous of trying.... Socks!
They're becoming my fear technique as far as knitting goes, there's the circular vs double point debate, but more perplexing.... Turning the heel!! But I'm determined to conquer the sock!!

 
And on that thought, I shall leave you (I need to go start planning all of this) happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment