Wednesday 9 September 2015

Ok summer, let's call it quits

Tis that time of year again... Holidays are over... Kids are back at school (not mine, I have none, but it's much quieter in town now)... Jumpers are out. I have officially given up on summer.

As is usual for pretty much anyone I have been thinking about what to make over the winter, what is my wardrobe missing? I've been very aware of my wardrobe since I started making my own stuff. I really don't want to fall into the trap of making stuff that never gets worn, or gets worn once, or just isn't 'me'.

I've been pretty hooked on the idea behind the 'wardrobe architect' series that has been appearing on the Coletterie blog. It is very geared around looking at what you need rather than just what catches your eye. Really thinking about what will fit in with what you actually wear day to day, and thinking about a few things you can plan to fit around this. I also love the idea of a capsule wardrobe, another term that has been floating around online, that everything goes with everything.

I sort of took this approach in early summer when I thought about four items that I wanted to make rather than just flailing around. I set a goal of two skirts (I made a chambray and a squirrel one), a shirt dress (hello McCalls 6696), and wanted a vintage blouse... Which didn't happen. So I have thought, I have planned, and I have set out some winter sewing goals...


That vintage blouse that never happened.... Well I finally found me my pattern! Enter a late 60s Simplicity, it's 2" tighter around the bust than I need, but I'm going to muslin the hell out of it and grade it up to a 34". I found a viscose online that I have had in my mind for this, moody wintery colours, but now my 2 meters has arrived I keep thinking I should save it for something better.


What do you think? I'm undecided so far.

What I absolutely have my heart set on is a Hollyburn skirt, and after seeing this one on the 'Rue des Renards' blog I essentially want to steal it and make a duplicate!!


I mean come on... It's gorgeous! So I am now on the hunt for a suitable fabric.



I also love the idea of a cute little sweatshirt just like the Astoria which featured in the Seamwork magazine a couple of months ago, but I'm wondering if the Plantain pattern could be adjusted a little, or should I just give in and buy this little beauty. I have plans for a light grey and a black version of this in squishy cosy sweatshirt fabric.

And as will always come in handy over the winter, I shall be making a New Jersey dress, in a very practical and boring black. I have already made the 'Skater Dress' pattern up last year, I think I shall make another.
Oh and I do need some white shirts/blouses so I've added a few of those to the list.

So ok I know that's more than four, and on top of that my brother is getting married in just under two months and I will be making a frock to wear for that too... So I had better get a wiggle on!




No comments:

Post a Comment