Thursday 24 September 2015

What do you wear to a wedding

I may have mentioned during my sewing plans post that I have a wedding coming up, my little brother is due to get married at the end of October in Ireland. Of course there was no question that I would be making my outfit for the occasion, that way I get exactly what I want right? Well that only works when I actually know what I want!

Luckily I began thinking about this quite some time ago, at the end of spring in fact. I focussed my attentions on the dress, which is of course the good bit, changing my idea of what I wanted umpteen times. I saw a pretty dress on Pinterest which I really liked and which set me off on the idea that I wanted a V neck dress. I've not actually made one before so this will be different... Special. I browsed patterns to find a suitable fit and flare dress and came across New Look 6799.

Photo from pattern

Perfect. I found a fabric online which I though fits with an autumn wedding, not too summery but very pretty...


And then I paid attention to what I just said.... Autumn wedding.... In Ireland.... Means very chilly!!
I'm going to need some kind of jacket! After some hunting to find a smart yet classy wedding-outfit-appropriate jacket I settled on New Look 6799 (which I'm pretty sure came free with Sew magazine, or at least I don't remember actually buying it)...


Now making allowances for the fact that this jacket looks a bit big for the model, and ignoring the rather hideous fabric choice, let's look at option E. Is it just me or is that very Jackie O?


Based upon the fact that the pattern comes with a fit and flare dress I thought 'Ah ha!' I searched for a suitable fabric for it... Tried to find a matching cream with no luck (it must be a very unusual shade), but I did find a beautiful navy boucle online which I thought would match beautifully. But I've never used this fabric before (loose weave... Unravelling... Argh!) so I did a little research to see how others have coped with it. Turns out most people have used it for a Chanel style jacket, and a lot of blogs ('Go Chanel or go home' I'm looking at you), have wonderful guides on how to master the Chanel jacket...


I love the idea of quilting the lining to the outer! So while the dress is yet another fit and flare dress, this jacket now feels like an adventure, and I'm actually rather excited about using some Chanel techniques to achieve my Jackie O jacket.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love the look of the fit and flare dress in this post, but you seem to have called it the wrong thing as the New Look 6799 is for the jacket. I would love to make this dress so please could you tell me which pattern it is. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. By chance I've just come across that pattern online. The dress pattern in this post is the Vogue 8997 pattern.

    ReplyDelete